The Chartiers Valley School District (CVSD) is a Pennsylvania public school district located just 20 minutes southwest of Pittsburgh in Allegheny County. The District encompasses the Boroughs of Bridgeville and Heidelberg and Collier and Scott Townships, serving a total combined population of approximately 30,000 residents.
Established in 1956, CVSD has grown to a student body of approximately 3,400 students in grades Kindergarten through grade 12. The District operates out of five buildings one primary school (grades K-2), one intermediate school (grades 3-5), one middle school (grades 6-8), one high school (grades 9-12), and one transportation/bus garage.
CVSD provides robust curricular and extra-curricular offerings to its students, including Nationally recognized music and performing arts programs, State Champion athletic teams, faculty who are established leaders in the field of education, and a state-of-the-art facilities, including a newly build secondary campus.
As a component of renewal, focus groups of students, faculty, and administrators collaborated to develop ideas for a Chartiers Valley School District crest. Together, we identified the most significant concepts which represent the standards and aspirations of our schools: Integrity, Community, Innovation and Academia.
CVHS art teacher Christopher McHugh utilized the collective ideas and feedback from the focus groups to create a beautiful visual representation of Chartiers Valley School District.
Each symbol in the crest highlights a different element of CV's ideals:
- Red – Energy, Determination, Passion
- Blue – Truth and Loyalty
- 1956 – The year our 4 communities became CVSD
- Achievement Ribbon – Unity, School Pride
- Olive Wreath – Community, Agreement and Harmony
- Per Chevron – Constancy with peace and sincerity
- Column – Achievement through education
- Torch and Hands – Passing of knowledge from teacher to students
- Winged foot and Victory Cup – Athletics, sportsmanship, fair play
- Clef and Notes – Music and Performing Arts
- Drama Masks – Theater and Performing Arts
- Key of Knowledge – Unlock the doorway to knowledge
- Graduation Cap & Diploma – Academia, Achievement, Transition